Friday, December 5, 2008

Professional Athletes = Genius?

Here is Rick Reilly's article about some of the genius that is Professional Athletes (just a few clippings):

Q: What does happen in the playoffs if the game is tied after the first overtime?

  • Sam Madison, CB, Giants: "Are they gonna do a coin toss? The rule needs to be changed."
  • Shaun O'Hara, C, Giants: "Yeah, we don't want the Super Bowl decided by a coin flip."
Correct answer: Play continues until one team scores.

Q: What's the maximum number of challenges a coach can make in a game if he's always right?

  • Clark: "As many as he wants."
  • Goff: "Two per half."
  • O'Hara: "Four."
  • Barton: "If he's right, why stop him?"
  • Pace: "Six."
  • Mangold: "I don't know. There goes my coaching gig."
  • Rhodes: "Three. You're not going to get me."

Correct answer: Three.

And a few genius quotes...
  • New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."
  • Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh: "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes."
  • Chuck Nevi, North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to
    Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt."
  • Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regime of heavyweight Andrew Galoot: "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is."
  • Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"
Well there you have it! It's no wonder professional athletes make some of the most bonehead mistakes and it just makes you wonder sometimes whether the wheels are spinning. But for as many of those athletes, there are those of the intelligent kind and can represent themselves and their sport respectfully.

No comments: