Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Am I really learning?

Here is an evaluation of the classes I have this semester-the last real classroom classes ever!

HIST 273- Illinois History with Prof. Mike Rosenow- I really enjoy this class, getting to know the history of Illinois and it's role in American History. Prof Rosenow makes it interesting getting the students involved in the lecture.

377-America since 1932 with Prof. Mark Leff- This has also been really enjoying, except for the that that it is just a lecture for an hour and 20 minutes. This class allows to get more in-depth with American history than what you would get with a textbook. We had our first test today so I guess I'll truly know how much I'll like the class-haha.

498- The Body in Western Christianity with Prof. Megan McLaughlin. This class has been really interesting as I never knew how much the physical body was incorporated into theology and thinking about Christianity. It's also challenging to me to learn more about my faith and also to be open to the opinions of others.

CI 403 with Mike Woods- "Well there Gang" I have learned a lot of teaching models in the class and how to use case studies to illustrate certain points of learning especially in history. Woods has done a lot with making sure we understand the various models and how to apply them to our teaching in the classroom. I guess I'll have that opportunity while observing at Rantoul High School starting October 9th for 5 weeks!

SPED 405 with Prof. James Shriner- This is another one of those education classes that is probably needed, but just seems the point is dragged out and it just gets boring learning about it and not seeing it in application. Prof. Shriner is funny and makes the class somewhat exciting, which helps, but it's not a class I look forward too, but it will be helpful when I have special education students or needs in my future classroom.

EPSy 485- with Prof. Catherine Ryan- This class deals with assessment and again is needed, but just can be dragged out so much that it gets boring in a hurry. It's important for us to learn how to write a good test or what is the most useful way to test student learning. It just gets repetitive after awhile and would better be seeing in application in the classroom.

No comments: